Monday, November 20, 2006

POP OF THE DAY: Pepsi

Category: Cola
Ratings (out of 5)
Taste: 2
Fizziness Factor: 5
Bottle/Can Design: 3
Availability: 5

Tasting Notes: I've never been a Pepsi drinker. I've always thought of it as the flatter, sweeter cousin of Coke.
But blogging about soda for a month without undertaking an official tasting of the pride of New Bern, NC, is tantamount to writing a history of the United States without mentioning anyone named George. So first of all, good for Pepsi for running one of those "1 in 6 wins more Pepsi" contests. Nothing builds loyalty like freebies. (Of course I didn't win, but I know I was this close.) Second of all, I was pleasantly surprised that my Pepsi didn't taste sweeter than melted rock candy and that it actually did make my mouth buzz with bubbles. I was, however, equally befuddled at my inability to pinpoint any single component of its flavor. If you were to ask me what Pepsi tastes like, the closest I could come would be "brown." I assume that "brown" is in fact a chemical synthesis of the cola nut, but since I have never tasted a real, live cola nut, let's focus on trivia: one of the theories about the origin of the name Pepsi Cola is that it is an acronym of Episcopal, and there was a church across the street from the drugstore where Caleb Bradham concocted what was originally called "Brad's Drink." Pepsi is the khaki pants of pants of colas: I would never search it out, but if there's nothing else around, it'll do. (Total Score 15/20)

Suggested Food Pairings: Chocolate pudding, fried chicken

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The only good thing about Pepsi is that you lose nothing by drinking the diet version, since both are equally non-impressive. I drank an expired Coke once, and it was a dead ringer for Pepsi.